Monday, March 2, 2009

Birthday Brew

My brew day started at 7:00am today. I brewed an Abbey Pale Ale, kegged my Regal Amber and transferred a Barley Wine to secondary. The Barley Wine was a group brew from Homebrewtalk, it started with an OG 1.112 and is now down to FG 1.011. It still has a strong alcohol taste but it should mellow over the next six months. The Regal Amber was brewed on 2-2-09 I still have six kegged beers ahead of this one.
The Abbey Pale Ale I brewed for my one year brew anniversary (6-7-08). If this one turns out well I plan on brewing it again on 6-7-09. Recently I have been experimenting with my mash times. Most everything I've read says to mash for one hour. But more recently I have seen that 30min or 15min is all the grain needs to convert the sugars. My last five beers I went with 45min mash times and have been getting 72% efficiency. This beer I went with 30min and still hit about the same efficiency (76%). Well here is the recipe if anyone is interested.

Abbey Pale Ale
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1.00 lb Munich Malt
1.00 lb Vienna Malt
1.00 oz Hallertauer
1.00 oz Hallertauer
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale
Mash 11.25qt of water for 30min.

No comments:

Post a Comment